Jean-Pierre Katshidikaya Tshibangu
Head of the Mining Engineering Unit
Faculty of Engineering
A. Scientific qualifications
A.1.Graduations and titles
- 1977-1983: Mining Engineering Studies – Université de Lubumbashi, Zaïre.
- 1983-1985: Assistant in the Faculty of Applied Sciences – UNILU, Zaïre.
- 1985-1987: Master in Applied Sciences – orientation Rock Mechanics at the Faculty of Engineering Mons (FPMs) –
- 1987-1993: PHD studies at
- 1994-1995: Post-doctoral contract at the French Institute of Petroleum (IFP), Paris-France.
- Member of several national and international scientific societies: Engineering Geology and Rock Mechanics (vice-president of the Belgian society), Society of Petroleum Engineers, Industrie Minérale (France), Society of Explosives Engineers (Belgian president), Underground Urban Works,
- Several missions and expertise both in Belgium and abroad: Europe, USA, Canada, Africa (North, Central and South), China,
- Manager of university cooperation programs in applied sciences (D.R. Congo)
- Rector of the Mbujimayi University (DR Congo) between 2007 and
- Chairperson of MIBA, a Mining Company between 2014 and
- Expert for the Research Direction of European Commission (RFCS, H2020), AERES (France), IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency).
- Member of the Taskforce MIRECA (Mineral Resources in Central Africa) created in 2006 by the Belgian Foreign
- Member and honorary Director of the Technical Classroom of the Royal Academy of Overseas Sciences (RAOS – ARSOM)
A.2. Publications and contracts
- Editor or co-editor of 3 proceedings books
- Author of 4 chapters published in books
- More than 110 publications and presentations in scientific journals and proceedings of congresses and both national and international colloquiums.
- More than 130 internal publications and study reports at FPMs
- 12 lecture notes and books for the FPMs students
A.3. Initiated contracts with private companies
- Numerous contracts initiated for the Mining Department since 1996 with various companies in drilling applications (Halliburton Security-DBS, Diamant-Drilling Services, Forasol and TPAO Turky, Smet drilling, etc.); quarrying operations (Carrières d’Antoing, Société des Carrières du Tournaisis, Carrières Lemay, Carrières Unies de Porphyre,…), civil engineering (Catepillar, Fondasol, CFE, Galere, Cathedral of Tournai, etc.
- Design and supervision of a research project to find iguanodon skeletons in the Bernissart natural sinkhole (400m depth).
B. Teaching and supervision activities
- In charge of rock mechanics and Mining techniques
- Organisation of industrial visits for students in Belgium and abroad (France, Germany, Spain, and South Africa).
- More than 80 master thesis supervised since 1996
- 7 PHD supervised as Director
3 PHD candidates currently under supervision